We had a pretty awesome storm last night. The works: rain, LOUD thunder, and lightning.
The lights went out.
Remember the pathways through the stuff I’ve been telling you about? Try navigating those in the dark while trying to find the candles and matches. Those cluttered counters? Not helpful in the dark. Stuff falls off onto the floor (and your toes) while you are fumbling around looking for a match. Also, there’s no clear and safe spot to set a candle.
If kicking a box (or five) didn’t break my toe, the can of tomatoes did when it fell off the counter.
I just went to bed.
It’s looked like this all week. I’ve been “going to clean it off” as soon as I had time to clean the bathroom properly. “Going to’s” just aren’t a good way to get things done.
I timed it. It took only 5 minutes, 40 seconds; including the time it took to take things to their proper home and to use that Soft Scrub to actually clean the counter. Those steps count on my fitbit – I’m still trying to achieve 10,000 steps on a regular daily basis.
Double win! Clear and clean counter, more steps.
The rest of the bathroom isn’t done, but progress has been made.
A light dawns. Maybe my list of things “to do” should be broken down into smaller jobs.
Not, clean the bathroom, BUT clear the counter, take the dirty laundry to the laundry room, empty the trash, etc. I don’t have the time to get it all done, BUT I can get something done.
Hmmmm? Maybe I should actually write down a list. I’m always going to, but never actually do. There’s that “going to” phrase again.
I know that writing things down gets it out of my head. It actually clears some of the mental clutter. There’s also the satisfaction of crossing things off of the list.
The list would have to be realistic and specific. Not clean and de-clutter the entire house by this evening.
I’m going to do it. I mean really do it. Right here. Right now.
To Do Today
- Clear off and clean master bath counters
- Gather dirty laundry and take to laundry room
- Clear and dust surfaces in the living room
- Clear and clean hall bath counters.
- Clear and wipe down hall counter
- Clear desk top
- Stack all boxes of paper that needs to be shredded in one spot (by shredder)
- Put all of daughter’s boxes in one location
- Gather all empty boxes in on place to await use or recycling
- Take shredded paper to recycling and donations to thrift store
- Do 2 loads of laundry – wash, dry, and put away
- Maintain fridge and pantry
- Wash dishes
- Find quote for new art card and print out
- Stare at canvas for a little while
- Make daughter deal with two boxes of stuff today
- Don’t forget to pick up youngest daughter from her friend’s house
- Enter expenditures in budget and reconcile account
- Run errand for husband
- Be kind to myself if I don’t complete this list because sometimes life happens – remember that sometimes the interruptions are the work that needs to be done.
This is the new plan. The new and improved plan. Where there’s life, there’s hope.
Please be forgiving as I’m not going to spend a lot of time proofing this. I just realized that it’s almost noon and I just publicly wrote a list of things to do. The perfectionist in me doesn’t want to fail.
Visual artist playing with collage, assemblage and whatever else I imagine. Homemaker and homeschooling Mom of four children aged 10 to 24. Ready to fully embrace life and leave regret and fear behind. Each new day is an opportunity to love, create and live with intention...