Are you ready. Counter re-do number 1 is almost finished. I still need to paint the bottom cabinets, but have not yet decided on a paint color for them. By deciding on the color, I mean that the proper color(s) in the proper amounts has not yet hit the “Oops” counter at The Home Depot. I’ll be patient for a while longer and then may actually have to pay full price. That would be sad, but we have scavenged so much stuff already that it wouldn’t be a deal breaker. I’m leaning towards a 50’s style Jadite green. We’ll see.
On the scavenging front, let me explain where most of the wood we used came from. On Saturdays, our IKEA sells carts full of pieces. Broken, leftovers from displays, odd items – you name it. A whole cart costs $10.00. We’ve bought three. Our purchase included perfectly good shelves, cabinet doors, partial dressers and beds, bed slats, and some stuff we couldn’t figure out the original intent of. The cabinet top and trim on this project came from that batch.
As much as possible, if we found ourselves saying, “We need to buy….”, we stopped and waited a bit and tried to brainstorm another way. I’m pretty proud of how we did.
Of course, I can’t locate the before photos. The shelves replaced upper cabinets that hung down very closely to the countertop. The “brick” replaces painted vinyl wallcovering typically found in a manufactured home. It was a “lovely” wheat pattern that I painted over a long time ago with a bright yellow. The pattern had a tendency to show through no matter how many coats of paint were added. The countertop used to be chipped formica in a riveting beige color. Now wood slats covered in shiny poly. My husband used galvanized pipe with copper accents for the shelf. Very un-manufactured home and more us!
Tomorrow, I’ll post the cabinet I was in charge of and you can see how different our personalities really are. I’m so excited that we are pitching out the rule book and doing our own thing!